Monday, June 29, 2009

Dechau

Two weekends ago we went to Dechau Concentration Camp here in Germany next to Munich. We were not able to do any traveling this past weekend because Nate had to leave for six days to go to the field for training.

Going to the concentration camp was a unique experience. It's hard to put into words the feelings that we felt there. I wasn't sure if I should blog about it, but it's history and I am glad we went. Dechau was one of the first concentration camps and was the only camp that existed during the twelve years of Nazi rule. It was at one time the largest concentration camp. Mostly Religious, Political and Education leaders went to this camp. In this picture below, the black highlighted areas is where all the concentration camps were.

The day began with us getting on the train. I have a new found love of riding trains and taking pictures of us riding them. You can see that Nate's face shows the love of his picture being taken, many of a times. He is such a good sport.
When we got to Dechau, we rented these personal tour things that you listen to while you are walking from site to site. This was the first building we came to that you enter first to get into the camp.
As you walk into the gate, on the gate door it says in german "Work will set you free"


I took a picture of this picture below of how the camp looked like.

These were the rooms where they slept. They rebuilt everything but everything is exactly how it looked like.

Below is the crematory room. Over 11,000 bodies were cremated in this room. All together 31,951 people died at this camp.

The feeling there was sad. Everyone was so quiet as we were all walking around shaking our heads, not being able to comprehend the pain and misery that went on there. Again, I am so glad we went and got to learn a little history.

10 comments:

Em Levy {orange + barrel} said...

Oh how wonderful! Sean and I want to take a trip and go through all of the sites. I will have to link him to your blog because he would love to see the pictures. The whole thing is so sad and so horrific and I have no idea how something like that happened, even though genocides still happen today. The sad part is hatred for Jews still remains today, especially in the midwest, the south, and even some parts of Southern California.

Brenna said...

Thank you for sharing your trip!

Dawny said...

Wow, what a very bittersweet experience. I can't imagine what it would feel like to see all of that up close and in person. Thanks for sharing with all of us. I love all of these new experiences you're having!

nicwoo said...

Incredible. I'm sure the occasion was solemn. I've read about that sign.
Gratefully, it helps you feel close to people you never met and also, with the ones that you can easily reach out and hug.

Aves said...

Just looking at those pictures I was shaking my head. I just can't believe that something that horrific and morbid happened. It leaves you without words. I love the updates on your blog though girl! I miss you! Email me sometime, I'd love to catch up!

Heather said...

I'm glad you shared that! I think these kind of things help remind us of what is really important.

thejencooper said...

We got to visit the same concentration camp when we visited Germany. It was a good experience to go and see it, but I don't ever want to go back. It just feels so evil and creepy there. Holy cow you guys have gotten to see so many things already! I love that you are documenting it all on your blog. We are loving all the updates!

Katie Webb said...

We went to Dechau when we were there too and I remember feeling like maybe I shouldn't have the pictures printed (we didn't have digital back then). Its such a humbling experience. Can you believe that some people actually argue that concentration camps were actually built after the war to make the Germans look bad?

How come you haven't written me back on facebook if Nate's been gone? What have you been doing with your time?

Anonymous said...

Wow. I can only imagine the emotions you felt being in such a sad place. No real comparison, but when I went to the holocaust museum in DC my mixed feelings were anywhere between all out bawling and throwing up. I just don't understand how such mass cruelty can occur.

-Shannie

Shep's Blog said...

I have been to the Dechau cocentration camp too. What a great and horrible experience. I went my junior year of high school with my mom, and I still remember so much of it. I remember feeling so much sorrow and reverence at the same time. What a neat experience; One you can not get anywhere else -raq