Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Netherlands

This past weekend we went to the Netherlands. Ha ha, I say that like it's an everyday occurance to just go to the Netherlands just because. We had such a great time and had quite the experience.

Warning, this is a very long blog post. We left Friday and it was about six hours away but with traffic it took us eight hours. Once we got checked into the hotel, we got changed and made it for the last session in the Netherland's Temple. It was beautiful. It's about the size of Birmingham Alabama's Temple. It was weird coming as a foreigner, where we were the ones that needed translating. We met the Temple President and His wife, they were so nice. On Sunday they picked us up from our hotel for church. This Temple is for all of Holland, France and Belgium.

The next day we walked to a train station. We figured it would be a hassle to take the car and try to find parking, so we took the train.

When we got off the train, we just looked at each other and laughed because we weren't for sure what we were going to do. We should of done more homework on the Netherlands. So we walked until we found something to see or do.

So as we were walking this huge building came up. I started taking pictures thinking "Wow, nice building heh?" Come to find out this is the Netherlands Castle.


We walked in and a tour was about to start. Of course we could not understand Dutch and luckily they asked in english if there was anyone there that spoke another language, we raised our hands and got a handout of the tour in english. Below is where Queen Beatrix rules the country.
After the tour we got on a bus to go to the beach. It is the ocean between Netherlands and England. Nobody warned us that it was a topless beach, ahhh! Luckily it was chilly outside, and most everyone was dressed. There were lots of places around the beach to eat, but of course we couldn't understand anything in dutch. We went to a pizza place that was disgusting, we should of just been brave and tried something else.

After the beach, we went and got our car and headed for a fairy, that took us to these:
Oldfashion Windmills! I love them. They are so interesting. People lived in these, and this was their main source of power and water. There was tons of them and we walked along a path and saw them all.
On Sunday we went to their church and we couldn't believe how nice the members were. We felt like we were at our own wedding in a reception line because everyone came up to us to ask our names and where we were from. Most everyone could speak english. We had a great weekend and we're sad that it is over. Can't wait for this weekend though for our next trip!

15 comments:

Dawny said...

Oh my goodness, wow...what can I say really? I still cannot believe you're actually there and the experiences you're going to have are unbelievable! That temple is beautiful. Thanks so much for posting all of these pictures for us to enjoy. I can't wait to see your next adventure! :-)

Alan & Debbie said...

Wow, it sounds like you had a lot of fun for just going with the flow! Ya, I hear that they have a lot of topless beaches out there so watch out!

Matt, Lorie, Roger said...

You two are soooo lucky! I am very glad you are taking time to explore and be adventurous. I am always way excited for you to post so I can see what you have done next. And don't worry, I will always cuddle little Rog for you.

Carin said...

I get so excited when I read your posts. They are so fun!!! You guys look like you are having a great time. JC wants to go to Germany for work and I've always told him no, but now I'm starting to rethink it. :) I can't wait to read about your next adventure!

Meagan said...

Wow, what a beautiful place! Min, you are as adorable as ever. :) I miss you. When you move home for a while (Kristi filled me in!) I would LOVE to meet up somehow.

Melissa & Jimmy said...

How fun! Can we come visit? Ha Ha. I love your new picture, Mindy your hair looks so pretty. Keep posting so we can live vicariously through you!

Aves said...

I love reading all of your adventures and places you are going! How crazy! But so much fun :) You are such a doll Mindy, I miss you already and want you to get back here so we can visit!

thejencooper said...

How fun you guys! That is really funny about the beach (ha ha)! I love all your pictures.

Katie Webb said...

Thats awesome! Looks like beautiful country!

Clan Andreasen said...

What a trip! It is good to hear that you are having so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Mindy you are so lucky! I loved reading about your weekend and must admit I was super jealous! It is so beautiful there.

Heather said...

Loved reading all your new posts since you arrived in Germany!

The Healthy Nutcase said...

That looks so fun! We probably would not have known what to do either. I'm a horrible researcher, got get better at it, but it's fun sometimes to just go and see what you find. yay! Have fun!

nicwoo said...

Well, It pays to know English, at least! lol.
What an amazing experience. Great Stuff like that, I could imagine, makes up for the tiny Celsius oven.
LOVEIT!

Lindsey said...

I'm so jealous! I'm coming to visit :)