Thursday, June 11, 2009

Changes

I am one that does not really like change. But as our marriage progresses I have discovered that I better embrace change and learn to like it because that's how it's going to be. I have learned and grown so much because of it and wouldn't change a thing.

I have not been in Europe long at all, but there are some changes that are obviously different than home. Let me share with you some of them that I am going to have to embrace:

1)-Stove. Our stove for now does not fit cookie sheets, I am glad I packed our smaller one.
2)- Different plugs. Good thing you can buy converters or this hair due would be in trouble.
3)- Recycling, they recyle everything! I heard you can be fined for not recycling. I love it though, because it's so clean here. In some public bathrooms you have to pay to use them.
4)- Money, the dollar is not good over here. Right now it's like 1 dollar to 0.69 Euro's. Not good.
5)-Dishwasher, me. There is not one in our place so I will have to do. I haven't had to hand wash dishes since I was five. I don't want to complain, but I will in my head while I am washing them.
6)-Road signs. I haven't taken the drivers test yet but as we go places I will ask Nate what they mean and wonder why we can't all just do it the same. This one means you can only go 15 mph in this zone.
I think you know what this one means, it's self explanatory but still it's different.

7)-And there is learning German. That is a big change and I hope one day soon I will be able to know some words.
So there you have it, some changes in our world and we are excited to experience them, and MANY more. Am I seriously here? :) I love it already!

11 comments:

Aves said...

By the end of your adventure there, you will LOVE all these things that feel so different and wont want to come back! But you better! I want to see you. Oh and here is my email, so please stay in touch!!! email me any time you want. :)

averi.michelle@gmail.com

Maycock Family said...

Mindy, sounds like lots of fun in your new adventures!! I bet you will make tons of memories while you are there! You don't need a dishwasher anyways... you have Nathan to do them! :)

Jamie said...

When you were talking about your tiny oven & no dishwasher, I totally thought of G&G apt in London. People over there just don't enjoy space the way we do! I hope your having a great time!

Katie Webb said...

Looks a lot like Korea. Well, at least the small stove and the plugs and the handwashing of dishes. I had to buy big yellow rubber gloves to do dishes with cause I get sores on my fingers!

Alan & Debbie said...

All I can say is Wow! You will definitely keep growing while you are there. That would be really cool if you learn German out of it. Good luck!

This Idaho Girl said...

I've been thinking about you. What an adventure! And you thought the South was different! I'm excited for you to experience Europe, though. Kind of jealous of all the things you'll see.

nicwoo said...

All I can think to say is:
"Go Min-!, Go Min-!, Go Min-!"
You are awesome!
...And also, wash those dishes with your head held high (and just go ahead and think those bad thoughts about them).
Now you can tell your kids in the future when they have to load the dishwasher that you moved to Germany and had to wash them yourself!! haha
Okay, I'm done now! Thanks for sharing the adventure.

thejencooper said...

Oh my gosh, the view from your living room is gorgeous. I am so happy for you that you are already loving it there! I bet it's so nice to finally be with Nate again. No, we still don't know what the baby is yet. I wouldn't be able to keep THAT one a secret! :) We find out on Monday the 22nd so check my blog that night...(um, morning for you I guess? Haha) Oh yes, we totally need to Skype. We just need to figure out the time difference :)

thejencooper said...

Oh ya, and I am so sorry you don't have a dishwasher! Todd and I lived like that for a long while in Utah. That stinks!

Anonymous said...

Mindy!!! I am so excited for you to be there! I love Germany and want to go soooo bad! That is hilarious about the cookie sheets, and soooo mean! Ya gotta have cookies, come on people!! We miss you guys here.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Have you gone to a Swim bod yet?