
On December 14, 2010 we left for Germany. Our flight left from SLC at 8:00 a.m so we had to be up really early to start our long day. I always get a little anxiety when it comes to traveling, I hate the busy-ness of getting luggage squared away, lines, and just traveling. Flying 13+ hours with a baby just wasn't something I was excited about, but Carter was such a good little guy. We were amazed at how well he did.
Taking Carter away from my parents was probably the third hardest thing I have had to do in a long time. First, when Nate left for Iraq, second when Nate left for R&R and had to leave Carter at almost three weeks old, and now this one. My parents have been there with Carter from day one so in a way I felt like I was taking away their baby too. Sounds silly, but that's how I felt. Plus goodbyes are always so hard and I am done with them. No more goodbyes please!
This is my parents with Carter the night before we left.
My grandma wrote a poem about our little family and she gave it to us right before we left. I thought it was so cute:
Time passes fast as you well know...
It seems only yesterday we were saying adieu
When for the first time you left on your way
To establish a home in a country that as to you new.
Then it was only just you two
But now a new little one will see
The country of the birth of his Dad
For this opportunity we are very glad!
And to Mindy and Nathan, we won't try to barter
For that "cute little man" they named Carter!
We know it would be useless to even try,
Because we know for sure he's the apple of their eye.
We know we will miss him and you both for a while
But thinking of you all together brings a great big smile!
We know your family in Corinne will have wander lust,
And they likely will be chanting "It's Germany or Bust!"
And we will be watching your internet blog
To see all the pictures we hope you will log
Not only of Carter but both of you too...
To see all the great things together you'll do.
One thing we know at this ripe old age...
Time passes fast, each day a new page
In this journey on earth, time passes so fast,
But our memories will always blissfully last!
Tho you may be gone for a while out of sight,
We know you'll be blessed with all that is right
By a Father above who loves you much too
In each and every moment in all that you do.
Just have great times in your home where 'ere you dwell
May our Father in Heaven always keep you happy and well
And send richest blessings from Heaven above,
Like Him, we give you all our undying love
Just remember while you're away
We'll keep praying for you each and every day!
The next morning my parents took us to the airport. When we checked in they told us that my parents could come all the way with us to the gate. I wanted to hug that worker lady, but then I couldn't decide if I wanted to punch or kiss her after she asked me if I was under sixteen. Seriously? I am the mother of that baby that I was pushing around in the stroller. I know I will appreciate one day that I look younger than my age. Anyways, we said goodbye to my parents, it was very hard to see them watch Carter leave. I think I cried until our layover in Chicago. So off we went. Nathan, Carter and I, our little family off to Germany to start a new adventure together.
The whole flight, including the way to Chicago I think Carter slept maybe two hours, but he was so good! People around us told us after the flight that they would have had no idea a baby was around them. We took turns walking around with him, and lots of playing. Next time we go on a long flight like that Carter will probably be walking, thats when I think it will be hard!
This is at the airport in Frankfurt. We were soooo tired! Jet lag is the worst, the WORST! I have only had jet lag one other time when I went to London to visit my grandparents on their mission, and it is not fun. In Frankfurt, we were waiting for a bus to pick us up and they were supposed to come in a couple of hours after we landed but ended up not getting there until eight hours after. We slept wherever we could.

Changing Carter and our schedule was not easy but we did it. We're loving it here so far! Lots more to blog!
5 comments:
How special is that cute poem?! Love that luggage picture of Carter.
It's a good thing Carter was so good since you had to wait for the bus that long! I bet you're glad that is over with! I'm glad you are doing these update posts so we can see what you have been up to :) Keep them coming!
You have definately had to say too many goodbyes! I am glad your little family is all together now though.
Loving the updates! Great pictures. Glad your little guy has adjusted to Germany well.
I love all the pictures of Carter! Especially the one of him in the luggage!!
Post a Comment