Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Neuschwanstein Castle

This past weekend we took a trip to Neuschwanstein Castle. It was about three hours away from our house, on the border of Germany and Austria. This is such a cool castle because Walt Disney copied this castle for his theme parks. It's also known as the "cinderella castle" They usually have a bus that will take you up to the castle but that day no buses were running because of ice and snow. That didn't stop us, so we hiked up the hill almost straight up for over 30 minutes pushing Carter in his stroller. I think my legs still hurt. We were not allowed to take any pictures inside the castle (although I tried and got caught by another tour guide, thanks Nathan for telling me to hurry and take the picture) but it was really pretty inside. A little history for you: King Ludwig only lived here for not even 6 months when he died. His death is a mystery. But apparently he was not a nice King. The castle is unfinished so we were only allowed to go into the finished parts.
A view of the castle on our way down.
Not far from King Ludwig's castle is his parents castle.
This is his summer home, Linderhof. It was about an hour away from Neuschwanstein. This wasn't open for tours until summer. We will for sure go back, the gardens around Linderhof are supposed to be so pretty, can't wait.

This was where we stayed for the night. In Edelweiss, in the Alps. So pretty!!!! It's a resort for military families. You can kind of see the alps behind us.
We of course went swimming that night and tried out Carter's new floaty. He was not sure about any of it, but eventually he had fun.
What a great weekend.
(I hope this makes you want to come and visit us. We will take you here. And anywhere else. We even have a spare bedroom, and plus you miss me, right?)

6 comments:

Meagan said...

Gorgeous! This definitley made me want to visit you. Especially if I get to swim in the pool! :) And hold that little man of yours. Great family pictures, you look amazing.

Heather said...

Sign me up for a visit! :D

Katie Webb said...

Oh, that brings back memories! We went to Linderhof (and snuck pictures of the inside) and Eidelweiss (or however you spell it). I want to come there so bad! I DO miss you!

Anonymous said...

You talked me into it! We just have to save up some money now... haha! I am so glad you are able to have such fun adventures as a family! You all look wonderful! Especially Carter! What a cutie-pie!

-Shan

nicwoo said...

That looks fantastic, of course! I know people who've visited and said it was beautiful (and also got caught taking pictures lol) Totally understandable ;) Go during the summer, for me please!

The McKoons said...

Um, yeah I will come visit...oh wait. I live here too!!!