Monday, July 9, 2012

4th of July Getaway

On the 4th of July Carter and I went to Twin Falls, ID to visit my brother and sister in law. They are moving to Texas this week and we wanted to see them before they left. My father and mother in law were also there so it was fun to get to spend time with them too. I grew up with so many cousins that I love it when Carter get's to play with his cousins. They were so fun to watch play together. Mckenna, the oldest cousin was so sweet with Carter.
Later that night we watched the fireworks around us. My father in law, Fred said that the neighbors grass was on fire, we ran out front and this was no small fire, their whole front yard was on fire! You could see them using whatever they had to smother the fire, but it wasn't working. Two big firetrucks came to put it out. I felt bad for them but that was a great highlight to the night. :)

Their backyard is amazing. I hope to have one like this someday. It is fenced in so I never had to worry about Carter escaping. The land behind them had lots of horses with a beautiful view. Dave, my brother in law built an awesome swingset that Carter loved. So we spent the whole day outside watching the kids play.
The next day we drove to Salt Lake City to meet up with some Germany friends that were either visiting Utah or have moved close by. It was so fun to see everyone!! My friend Alexis on the bottom with her two kids is home too while her husband is deployed. The Bishop (before Nathan) and his family, The Thompsons. They are stationed in Kansas. The Potters, she was a good friend and my visiting teacher. The Cardons, they are still stationed in Germany but at a different base now. And two missionaries that were there and now going to school in Utah. I got both their phone numbers for my single sisters. :)  It was fun to catch up, and it makes me excited to go back to Germany!
After the Germany Reunion, we met my family and drove up to my grandparents cabin in the Uintah mountains. It was such a relaxing weekend. It rained almost everday we were there. My mom brought enough food to last us until winter so we ate and ate and ate. We watched a lot of Bevery Hillbillies, which are really funny.
And Carter played a lot of baseball/golf. He is kind of confused as to what to do with the bat. He would hit the ball with the bat then golf with it. I love this little pose as he is getting ready to hit the ball, I am sure his dad will love this one.
My grandparents cabin is very close to Flaming Gorge. It is so pretty! None of us, except for my sister Lindsey (sorry linz) brought our swimming suits, so we didn't get to go.
Carter and his cowboy boots which he ALWAYS has on. Love my little cowboy!
Did I mention we did a lot of eating?
On our way home we stopped in Vernal where my grandpa is buried. He died in 2003 from cancer and we miss him so much. My grandparents bought their cabin a few years before he died and he spent most of his time there before he passed away. He was such an amazing man that served his whole life. This was Carter's first time to his gravestone. We miss and love you grandpa!
Someone had a long weekend.
It was a fun getaway. I'm so glad we get to celebrate our freedom, and appreciate those that make that happen for us. Happy 4th of July! 

4 comments:

nicwoo said...

What a trip! It's the people that make all the difference. How lovely. Carter is mesmerizing.

Lindsey said...

Who goes to Flaming Gorge and forgets their swimming suits? Oh yeah that's right, my whole family :)

Nicole said...

Looks fun! Carter is getting so big!

Sarah said...

It was so fun to see you! We will have to do another one of those reunions again!