Throughout all the fertility treatments I was going through a huge roller coaster. One day I was perfectly content with having faith, and another day where I was for sure we would never have kids. I remember thinking "fine then, we'll just save all our money and be the richest people and vacation when we want, buy anything we want and won't have to worry about diapers and rash cream." Looking back sometimes I think I was losing it. :)
Having the best, patient husband helped so much, he reassured me so many times that everything would be ok. And plus, why would I want to have to share him with anyone else? I would be perfectly content just having him to myself, but then pictures popped in my head of baby Nathan's and it starts all over again. So we moved to Germany from Alabama and had oh so much fun. No baby to stop us from being spontaneous.
In August Nate had to leave for a month training so the plan was for me to go home to Utah and then go back to Germany and stay with him until he deployed. We kept playing with the idea of doing invitro. We knew it was such a big risk, first of all, lots of money, second, not 100% chance of it working and third, I would have to stay in Utah the whole time and not be able to go back to Germany and be with Nate until he deployed. And the roller coaster started again. Prayer played such a big role in all of this, I don't think I have mentioned it enough, we couldn't have done any of this without the Lord's help.
So we decided to do it! I moved back home to Utah at the end of July. It just felt right. We figured that if I did get pregnant then I would have time to get all the necessary paperwork for the baby to go to Germany when Nate gets back from deployment. So of course we were excited. scared. happy. scared. and scared. Leaving Nate in Germany was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I remember looking back at him at the Frankfurt Airport, it still makes me cry. He's my best friend, how was I going to do this without him? In my mind I kept saying "oh this all better be worth it!"
I won't bore you with all the details of the invitro, but I loved my Dr.'s that took care of us. I knew we were at the right place, I would just sit there and think, "this is where little Nathan and Mindy's would begin" I had to go through a series of medications. Lots of shots. Lots of ultrasounds. Lots of tears. Lots of happy's and sad's. We transferred three embryos. The day of the transfer Nathan was able to be on webcam so it felt just like he was there.

The night of the transfer I felt like it hadn’t worked. There is no way I could be pregnant. I had a two week wait before I could find out. It was horrible! I tried to occupy my mind with anything I could. I even made an appointment with LDS services to start the adoption papers after my pregnancy test, because I knew it would be negative. Nate was flying to Utah to see me for two weeks before he left for deployment. I would find out if we were pregnant four days after Nate got here. The day that Nate flew in I was feeling like I might have the flu. Nate’s parents were in Utah to see Nate. They picked me up so that we could go get Nate at the airport. I was having a hard time breathing and just felt sick. Pregnancy hardly entered my mind. I just wanted to know why I was feeling so weird. It was so good to see Nate but I couldn’t hide that I was sick. We called my Doctor that night and he thought I should come in first thing in the morning. I wasn’t supposed to do my pregnancy test for another four days. So that morning they did an ultrasound and saw that my ovaries were leaking fluid (from being over stimulated from the invitro) this happens with some girls. I was put on strict bed rest and could only drink Gatorade, no water for weeks. Um, yes, gross. They also did a pregnancy test, and would call us a few hours later with the results. I really did not think I was pregnant.

The night of the transfer I felt like it hadn’t worked. There is no way I could be pregnant. I had a two week wait before I could find out. It was horrible! I tried to occupy my mind with anything I could. I even made an appointment with LDS services to start the adoption papers after my pregnancy test, because I knew it would be negative. Nate was flying to Utah to see me for two weeks before he left for deployment. I would find out if we were pregnant four days after Nate got here. The day that Nate flew in I was feeling like I might have the flu. Nate’s parents were in Utah to see Nate. They picked me up so that we could go get Nate at the airport. I was having a hard time breathing and just felt sick. Pregnancy hardly entered my mind. I just wanted to know why I was feeling so weird. It was so good to see Nate but I couldn’t hide that I was sick. We called my Doctor that night and he thought I should come in first thing in the morning. I wasn’t supposed to do my pregnancy test for another four days. So that morning they did an ultrasound and saw that my ovaries were leaking fluid (from being over stimulated from the invitro) this happens with some girls. I was put on strict bed rest and could only drink Gatorade, no water for weeks. Um, yes, gross. They also did a pregnancy test, and would call us a few hours later with the results. I really did not think I was pregnant. We were on our way to Park City to see my grandparents and the nurse called. I handed my cell phone to Nate because I didn’t want to hear what she had to say. She told him I was pregnant. WHAT!?? Our world was completely changed that second. Every time I looked at Nate I would just smile because I was having his baby! He was going to be a dad, and me a mom?! Holy Cow. We just couldn’t feel any more happier. I called my mom and dad, and tried to cry but crying made it hard to breathe with the extra fluid pushing up against my diaphragm, so I felt like I was screaming in the phone. It couldn’t have been a more happy moment for Nate and I.
So today I am 12 weeks with a large lime in my tummy. I am due June 23. I am starting to show a little but if you don’t regularly look at my stomach then you probably would have no clue. I love showing Nate my tummy on webcam, I feel like a little kid showing his mom how full I am. When I was 8 weeks, I had my first appointment with my OB. Nate was supposed to deploy that exact day and wouldn't get to be on webcam for the first appointment. Somehow his deployment day got moved to the next day and he was able to be there on webcam. We got to hear the heartbeat for the first time, see the little bean. That was such a special moment, the Lord has been on our side this whole time. I knew He made it possible for Nate to be there, He knew how long we have waited for that day.
Through all of this I have learned so much. Everything in this life is a learning process. I have relied more on the Lord then ever. Yes I have been mad at Him at times, but He is the one that knows when the right things will come into our lives at the RIGHT TIME. Timing is everything, and no, it wasn't on my time table, it is on His. I have also learned that technology is amazing. I could just kiss the people that invented invitro, and webcam!! And one more thing, I have learned that I couldn't love my husband more. He has been my strength through this whole thing. Well there you have it, a long story, whew! I am excited to keep you posted on my lime and the journey that will come.
Through all of this I have learned so much. Everything in this life is a learning process. I have relied more on the Lord then ever. Yes I have been mad at Him at times, but He is the one that knows when the right things will come into our lives at the RIGHT TIME. Timing is everything, and no, it wasn't on my time table, it is on His. I have also learned that technology is amazing. I could just kiss the people that invented invitro, and webcam!! And one more thing, I have learned that I couldn't love my husband more. He has been my strength through this whole thing. Well there you have it, a long story, whew! I am excited to keep you posted on my lime and the journey that will come.(oh and ONE more thing, after I found out I was pregnant, I thought I was pregnant with triplets. Because we transferred three embryos we didn't know how many took. What a weird feeling thinking I had three dots in me for two weeks. I was so relieved when the Dr. only saw one at six weeks. I couldn't fly back to Germany with three, no way!)
31 comments:
I couldn't be happier for you. You are going to be a wonderful mommy and I can't wait to read about your adventures in pregnancy!
What a great story to have documented. You better print this out and put in your journal for the sweet baby to come. Than he/she will always be able to read how much his mommy and daddy wanted him/her. You brought me to tears. :) We are sooo happy for you guys and we are looking forward to all the updates.
I love that little lime! oh, and its tater-tot head parents.
I'm so glad you shared this Mindy. What a beautiful story. I'm so happy for you and Nathan and know that you will be such amazing parents. What a lucky lime you have!!!
OK, I should of read this before I put mascara on. ;) Love you guys.
Yay! And I would have been scared to death at the possibility of having more than one kid at a time. Kids 14 months apart is already giving me anxiety. Congratulations, you're going to be such a good mom. Paysen LOVED you. I hope you have a girl, because that means I'm having a girl (you know how they come in cycles?). Right now my due date is June 10 but my last ultrasound looked like the baby is a little bigger so they might move it up when they do the 18 week ultrasound in a month. I'm so happy for you! I think you should do a through the mail baby shower too like Katie did. With a regular one.
I am so happy for both of you. I totally got choked up after reading your baby story... hearing the story for a second time was very moving for me. We love and miss you and cant wait to meet the newest member of your family. I hope you have a great Christmas!!Oh and please come visit!!!
Yeah! I am so so excited for you two! It has been a long journey, and I'm so glad that all those tears and prayers paid off. That was seriously the best day ever when nathan called and told me he was going to be a dad. He is going to be the cutest dad ever and you are going to be the sweetest mommy ever. I have a box of baby girl clothes waiting to find out what you are having :) Hope you get feeling better lady! I miss you and I really think you should come to wa...I'll be there till the 16th :)
Oh Mindy, this made me cry. I know how long you have waited for this. This little baby could not be going to a more loving and wonderful home. I am so happy for you!!!!
We are so happy for you two!!!! I know I've felt very similar with different trials I've gone through. One day full of faith, the next not so much. =) You are going to be one great Mommy!
People can preach to you about "God's time table" all they want, but it's so hard to accept! I know this feeling all too well. That picture of your meds brought back a lot of memories, like the $600 shot, and the progesterone shots (guess you're done with those now). I am so happy for you and Nate. When you get to hold that little baby you will forget all about the heartache. Promise.
Oh Mindy! I am SO SO happy for you and your sweet lime! Hopefully the morning sickness will fade for you in the second trimester. =) You and Nate will be wonderful parents! Keep us all updated!
-Shan
You both are so deserving. I just couldn't be happier for you guys. Thank you for sharing your story and giving me hope. Hugs :)
Mindy, can I just say that reading that last post of yours brought tears to my eyes. I knew that you were having a hard time getting pregnant but you always appeared so strong. What a hard thing to have to go through. I am so excited for you both!
So how long do you have to wait until you get to see Nathan again?
Such a happy ending, I am so happy for you guys. When does Nate get home? Will he be there for the birth? So neat, your little lime is a lucky one...he/she will have some of the best parents out there!
YAY!!!!! Mindy, I couldn't be happier for you guys! I am so excited for you to be a mommy! I just wanted to cry reading your story. I hope you are feeling better. That first trimester is rough. YAY YAY YAY!!!!!! Baby Salisbury is FINALLY coming!!!!
Oh Mindy! Your story brought me to tears and took me back to our visiting teaching days in Rexburg when we would talk about how much we wanted babies! I am SO happy for you. I can't imagine any couple who deserves it more than you do!
Definitely. My friend is due a couple weeks ahead of me and she just found out she's having a girl. They come in waves. Hopefully it's still on the girl wave by the time it gets to us!
Congratulations you guys. I'm so happy that things have finally worked out for you. Good luck Mindy with your pregnancy. June will be here before you know it. You guys will be awesome parents.
Mindy I am seriously so happy for you guys! You have waited so long! You will be the best parents ever.
A beautiful story! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to hear more. Yes, technology is the bomb. Oh, and we live in Bluffdale, UT.
God Bless You, Mindy. I too have recently been carried by the Lord.
More Prayers coming your way with happiness! I mean it.
God Bless you and Nate's precious hearts.
Thank you for sharing.
Oh Mindy... What a neat story! I loved it!! I smiled, laughed and cried! Our trials can be such testimony builders!! Love ya guys and can't wait to hear more!
Congrats you darling girl! I Had no idea you were trying! babies are so fun!
Hey, where in Iraq is Nate?
Min, thanks for sharing your story. I can't imagine having to deal with such a hard trial as wanting to start a family and not being able to. I'm SOOOO happy and excited for you and you will be the most amazing mom. What a blessing! Parenthood is amazing and will bring so much MORE joy to your life. :) I can sympathize with you on the toilet/sickness! I lost 20lbs my first trimester, it was horrible. But it completely disappeared once I hit my 2nd trimester, hopefully the same will happen for you. I'm so happy for you. Miss ya.
Fine. If you leave me your phone number I'll text you but then you have to tell me before you blog it....
Hey Mindy! I hope you are feeling better! I think about you often and am always hoping that you are doing well :) Happy New Year!
Ohhh Mindy!! You are such a sweetheart! I am so excited for you guys! Congrats! I know you will be amazing parents! :D
OH Mindy, I jsut about cried (pretty much tearing up) reading this cause I'm soooo so happy for you guys. You both are amazing!
That is such a special story mindy! it warmed my heart:)
Post a Comment