Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Yellowstone

This past weekend my family took a spontaneous trip to my dad's favorite place on earth, Yellowstone. My dad lives, eats, dreams about elk. On his computer he even watches a web-cam that updates every thirty seconds to see if there is any elk in the area.
We left on Friday and went through Rexburg. It was fun to show Carter where Nate and I met and where we graduated from school. Oh how I miss that place. I really want to end up living in Idaho someday. Within an hour of entering the park we saw lots of elk and a bear!
I hurried out of the car with my precious cargo and quickly took this picture and went back in the car before the bear could eat us! (I swear the bear was closer to us than it looks in the picture)
I learned a lot about elk on this trip. Around this time of year, the Bull elk (the man) rounds up cow elk (his women) and he doesn't let them out of his sight. If another bull elk comes along they will challenge each other. We almost saw this happen by our hotel in Mammouth. The desire for a bull elk to breed is a stronger to desire for them to eat or rest so a lot of them die from hunger. Thought you would like to know.
This was a bull elk by our hotel.
While my dad was checking into the hotel we were waiting out in the car and my sister Melissa was making Carter laugh...it was so cute! He was so happy to be out of his car seat.
Relaxing on the bed in our hotel. All the through the night we heard elk...barking? Howling? Not sure what sound they make, my dad would not be proud. Anyways it was fun to hear them. Thanks mom and dad for a fun weekend!

4 comments:

Jessica :) said...

Sounds like a fun trip! I don't know the term for the noise elk make either . . . and I'm sure I've heard it!

Matt, Lorie, Roger said...

How fun! I think our dad's would get along...my dad likes to bugle and talk with the elk whenever we go to Jackson Hole. I LOVE Yellowstone, and I my favorite part are the bears. I'm glad Carter got to experience that so early. He's sooooo cute.

Katie Webb said...

Looks like fun! I'm so glad you got back into the car before you became lunch!!

thejencooper said...

Carter is so stinkin' cute! I LOVE the CHEEKS on that kid! I wish I could kiss his cute little face!