Monday, March 7, 2011

Black Forest

This last weekend we went to the Black Forest in Freudenstadt, Germany. It borders France and Switzerland. It's so pretty! The reason they call it the Black Forest is because there is such a high concentration of pine trees that from a distance it's really dark. And in the forest is one of Germany's highest waterfalls.

On our way there of course we have lots of stops with the little man. He is a really good traveler but he's a lot better when we get out and stretch and plus the weather was so nice we couldn't resist. I love this picture of my two favorite boys.
It was about a three hour drive. We got to the town and it was decorated for a parade. I guess (we have no clue) there are parades around the country where people dress up. All the stores around were selling costumes, I just thought they hadn't put down their halloween stuff away for the season.
This is the town to buy cukoo clocks! This was one of many stores that sold them. I will eventually buy one before we leave Germany but they aren't my typical decoration. They are really neat though.
They make them in lots of different sizes. This one I think costs over 1000 euros. Which we be almost $1400 U.S. dollars!
This is our hotel where we stayed. It was really nice. For some reason, right at seven in the morning we heard loud bangs. I thought it must have snowed and the streets were being shoveled. Nate went out on the patio and about ten random guys dressed up were banging on trash cans like a drum and walking down the street. Seriously I say?!
We hiked almost to the top of the waterfall.
On the way down you could see the town of homes.
No matter where you go in Germany it's beautiful. We're hoping in the next couple of weeks to go where Nathan was born, Berlin!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love to read of your adventures! Hope are all doing well. You look beautiful Mindy!
-Shan

Meagan said...

Such fun places you get to visit! Love the family picture. Can't believe your little man is 9 months. His smile is the cutest.

nicwoo said...

Looove the family waterfall picture. Your Carter--seriously want to kiss his cheeks, if you don't mind!